Thandai is a quintessential Holi drink. Thandai is a flavoured milk made using spices and ingredients that are cooling in nature that helps cool the body during Holi and summer season. Thandai is a rich flavoured milk that can be prepared a day in advance and served chilled making it a perfect Holi drink.
Holi, the Festival of Colours is celebrated by playing with colours. Family and friends come together and celebrate by colouring each other with powdered colours. A festival that some people love and some don’t. White clothes and playing with colours, food, drink , music , dance is what makes Holi fun. I have never enjoyed playing with colours, but I love wearing whites and the food that is prepared during this festival, specially Thandai. I love the basic Thandai, served chilled. This year with the pandemic, there is not going to be any party. But that will not stop us from having the food or dressing up :). Along with Thandai, I am making Chana Dal tikki this year.
This gorgeous saree is by Noorkari Lucknow
- 1 ltr – Full fat milk
- Sugar to taste
- Below are the ingredients for the masala.
- 2 Tbsp – Poppy seeds/ Khus Khus
- 2 Tbsp – Fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 2 Tbsp - Melon seeds
- ¼ cup each – Almonds & cashews
- 1 tsp – Black peppercorns
- 2 nos – Cardamom
- 1 pinch – Saffron
- Powder all the ingredients listed under masala into a fine powder.
- In a saucepan heat the milk.
- Once the milk boils up, switch off the flame.
- Add sugar as per your liking. I like it mildly sweet.
- Turn of the gas.
- Add 3 tbsp of the masala.
- Cover the saucepan and let the milk completely cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Strain the Thandai and it chilled.
Leave a Reply