I am more fond of Tea cakes than cakes that have frosting or any kind of sauce. This Spice tea cake that I had booked marked a couple of years ago from Pretty.Simple.Sweet is my favourite. The Spice tea cake is so flavourful and is extremely moist. You can see the crumbs and you will know how good this tea cake is. I served it with some butter and I toasted some and served it with spice butter. It was over in literally 15mins.
1 and 1/4 cups – all purpose flour
1 tsp – baking powder
1/2 tsp – baking soda
1/4 tsp – salt
1 tsp – cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp – ground ginger
1/4 tsp – ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp – ground cloves
2 – eggs
1/2 cup – granulated sugar
1/4 cup – dermerara sugar (brown sugar)
1/4 cup – flavorless oil
1/2 cup – unsweetened applesauce*
1/2 cup – buttermilk (1/2 cup milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
1/2 tsp – vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cups - all purpose flour
- 1 tsp - baking powder
- ½ tsp - baking soda
- ¼ tsp - salt
- 1 tsp - cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp - ground ginger
- ¼ tsp - ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp - ground cloves
- 2 - eggs
- ½ cup - granulated sugar
- ¼ cup - dermerara sugar (brown sugar)
- ¼ cup - flavorless oil
- ½ cup - unsweetened applesauce*
- ½ cup - buttermilk (1/2 cup milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
- ½ tsp - vanilla extract
- To make the Apple Sauce you will need 1 - Apple, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp - Lemon juice
- a pinch of cinnamon
- To make the apple sauce, take apple cubes, cinnamon powder and a cup of water in a sauce pan and cook it covered.
- Cook it till the apple is nice and soft.
- Mash the apple using a fork till it is smooth.
- Add lemon juice and give it a mix .
- Cook it till all the water is absorbed and the apple sauce is thick and reduced.
- Cool it completely before using it in the cake.
- To make the cake, Pre heat the oven to 180º C.
- Grease and line a bread loaf pan.
- In a grinder grind all the spices till fine.
- Sift together flour, baking powder , salt and spice mix.
- Beat together brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs for a minute.
- Add oil and beat it till well combined.
- Add applesauce and buttermilk and give it a good mix.
- Now add the flour mixture and fold it using a spatula till everything comes together well.
- Pour it into the prepared pan.
- Bake it for 25 to 30 minutes or till the tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven and leave it in the pan before transferring it onto a cooling rack.
- Slice it up and serve it along with tea or spice butter.
- (For the spice butter, I mix the same spice mix used in the cake with room temperature butter along with a pinch of sugar)
- You can store the cake in an airtight container for 4 days to a week.